This post refers to a recent study from UC Berkeley on the correlation between sleep and relationship conflicts, highlighting the importance of maintaining good habits in self-care. It is one of the most crucial tools for maintaining healthy relationships. Here are some tips from Dr. John Gottman on goal-setting and stress management to help you find balance and create a healthier lifestyle for both yourself and your relationship.
- Make your goals specific and measurable. Instead of telling your partner that you’d like to talk more, suggest a specific activity you can do together, such as taking a walk after dinner each night or playing board games every Sunday afternoon.
- Consider the pros and cons of healthy changes. Reflect on the advantages of feeling closer and relaxed, as well as the drawbacks of arranging caregiving responsibilities.
- Break down big goals into small ones. If you want to get in shape, take it easy and start with smaller steps to avoid overexerting yourself or causing injuries.
- Seek support. Think about the people closest to you and reach out to them for encouragement if you want to take care of yourself.
- Anticipate obstacles and create a backup plan. Visualize the challenges you may encounter in reaching your goals and come up with alternative solutions.
- Create a daily schedule and track your progress. Reflect on your intentions for the day and hold yourself accountable for them.
- Reward yourself for short-term and long-term achievements. Establish a way to congratulate yourself when you reach your big and small goals.
Setting Goals as a Couple
You can set these goals together and enjoy stress-free activities as a couple. Here are some additional ideas for relaxing together. You probably know what you and your partner enjoy the most, so try some of these activities or come up with your own. It may help you learn more about each other and strengthen your bond.
- Watch your favorite show together.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood.
- Explore a beautiful park and watch the sunset.
- Find an ice cream stand or food truck where you can enjoy something delicious outdoors.
These are ideas that can help prevent you and your relationship from feeling overwhelmed in daily life.