With the start of the 2024 season less than two months away, the Major League Rugby unveiled the home and away jerseys of all eleven teams that will compete in this year’s championship on Wednesday, January 10th. This marks the first season of a partnership between MLR and Kappa, a sportswear company that currently outfits several teams in Europe’s top national football leagues, including AS Monaco and FC Metz in France, as well as ACF Fiorentina, Empoli FC, and Genoa CFC in Italy – and has a rich history in rugby.
In addition to the uniforms unveiled on Wednesday, MLR and Kappa also plan to create a special ‚City‘ jersey for each club, which „explores the culture, tradition, and history of each city in more detail.“
Here is a look at the home and away jerseys of all 11 clubs, as well as what the league and Kappa had to say about each club:
– Chicago Hounds: Both the home and away jerseys feature classic houndstooth accents along the sleeves and shorts for a fashionable touch.
– Dallas Jackals: The iconic lone star from the state flag is prominent on the Jackals‘ home and away jerseys in green, black, and white, reflecting their Texas roots.
– Houston Sabercats: At home, Houston wears a unique black and grey big cat print with yellow accents, while the away jerseys feature a subtler big cat pattern in predominantly yellow.
– Miami Sharks: This marks the Sharks‘ first season in MLR as an expansion franchise, welcoming the South Beach scene with a home jersey featuring a pink top with subtle design elements, while the innovative away jersey features a pink and black pattern paying homage to the vibrant and bold designs of Wynwood, the city’s thriving art district.
– New England Free Jacks: As the MLR Cup champions in 2023, the Free Jacks are the only club with an alternate jersey in 2024, sporting a traditional and clean look that pays tribute to the region’s revolutionary roots.
– New Orleans Gold: Reflecting the Mardi Gras-inspired away jersey, traditional colors of gold, green, and purple are featured, while the home jersey is in gold and white with accents along the shorts.
– Old Glory DC: The home jersey is inspired by the US capital’s unique look, featuring a blue pattern inspired by the Rotunda in the US Capitol, while the red away jersey has a subtle design reminiscent of the columns of the Lincoln Memorial.
– Rugby Football Club Los Angeles (RFCLA): With blue and light blue kits, RFCLA’s cascading wave pattern conjures thoughts of sun, sand, and surf along the West Coast.
– San Diego Legion: Honoring the city’s military heritage, the two uniforms feature innovative camouflage patterns in the team’s iconic colors of red, black, and silver.
– Seattle Seawolves: Both the home and away jerseys feature distinct looks to help Seattle stand out on the field, including a black home jersey with soundwave patterns and orca tooth accents, and an away jersey featuring the majestic Mount Rainier on the front.
– Utah Warriors: Both jerseys feature four stripes representing community, family, tradition, and respect, with these four stripes depicted on each part of the team’s kit.
Despite unveiling a series of new logos in September 2023, the Toronto Arrows ceased operations following the death of owner Bill Webb. The 2022 MLR champions, Rugby New York, also withdrew from the league after a failed attempt to sell the team. Additionally, there are rumors of a 12th team joining the MLR in time for the 2024 season, although it was not mentioned at the jersey unveiling on Wednesday. The team in question is a Rugby USA development team based in Charlotte, North Carolina, which would provide valuable playing time for US-eligible players ahead of the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia and the 2031 World Cup in the United States.