According to a police report, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Irsay, was found lifeless, cold, and breathing heavily after the Carmel police were dispatched to his house in December, as reported by TMZ.
The local police were dispatched to Irsay’s Carmel residence on December 8, 2023, after someone found the 64-year-old unconscious with a blue hue. When the police arrived, Irsay was struggling to breathe, had a weak pulse, and constricted pupils. Irsay did not respond to chest compressions but „reacted slightly“ after being administered a dose of Narcan – a medication commonly used for reviving people who have overdosed on opioids.
Paramedics arrived shortly after and „took life-saving measures,“ according to the report. Irsay was eventually taken to a nearby hospital, and the police later classified the incident in their records as both an „overdose“ and „overdose/poisoning.“
On January 9, the Colts released a statement via Adam Schefter of ESPN, stating that Irsay was being „treated for a severe respiratory illness.“ Around the same time, the guitar enthusiast also withdrew from an event with his band The Jim Irsay Band.
Irsay has been open about his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction. The Colts owner publicly admitted in 2022 that he had developed a dependency on painkillers. In a 2010 interview with USA Today, Irsay described his „egg against the wall“ lifestyle as a younger man, referring to excessive alcohol consumption, as well as the use of cocaine and mushrooms.
In March 2014, Irsay was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and drug possession. The police „believed Irsay was intoxicated by a substance other than alcohol“ and found $29,000 in cash as well as bottles of prescription medications in the vehicle, as reported by the Indianapolis Star. Irsay entered rehab, and the charges were later dismissed.
In an interview with Andrea Kremer in November 2023, the Colts owner revealed that he has been to rehab „at least 15 times“ and had previously overdosed.
„Oh yeah,“ Irsay said in the „Real Sports“ interview. „Once I tried to detox and I mixed several medications that I didn’t know about. Suddenly I start slurring my words. And then code blue, I stop breathing. And they resuscitate me and the doctor says, ‚Jim, you’re a lucky man, because I practically signed the death certificate.'“