|Green 10 press release: A new impetus for Europe|
The Green 10 appeals to President Juncker: "Five urgent actions for the coming year and 10 priorities for your mandate"
Brussels 3 November 2014
The Green 10, the alliance of environmental organisations in the EU, representing over 20 million Europeans, look forward to working constructively with the new European Commission to make EU environmental policies a central part of the Commission’s solution to Europe’s problems”.
“During the first year the European Commission should focus on the following urgent actions:
1. Put sustainable development at the core of the EU agenda
2. Rebuild trust in a European project for people
3. Make environmental policy a key tool of job creation
4. Regain Competitiveness through innovation
5. Foster investment in green and nature-based solutions
During the 2014-2018 mandate the European Commission should also focus on the following 10 priorities:
1. Create new jobs, shift the tax burden from labour to resource consumption, and eliminate environmentally-harmful subsidies through a new economic strategy based on sustainability principles.
2. Develop legislative proposals on greenhouse gas emission reduction, renewable energy and energy savings policies that ensure the EU is on track to decarbonize by the middle of this century.
3. Halt Europe’s accelerated loss of biodiversity by 2020.
4. Put in place comprehensive resource-reduction, product and waste policies.
5. Adopt measures to reduce the use of pesticides and replace hazardous chemicals.
6. Limit air pollution and bring levels in line with latest health recommendations.
7. End European and global deforestation and forest degradation.
8. Oppose any new free trade deals, especially agreements with the US and Canada, that jeopardise strong social and environmental standards.
9. Put the environment at the heart of the global development goals to end poverty.
10. Guarantee the right to information, participation and justice for European citizens.
Please find details on the 5 urgent actions and the 10 priorities in the document besides.